Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Next Generation

I have a quote scribbled on a Post-It in my office. It reads, "The core responsibility of management is the next generation. For longevity of the enterprise." Big words that essentially mean mentor the young ones, they're the future of our industry.

I usually do this by telling stories about all the mistakes I've made over my career so students stand a chance of not making the same mistake themselves. Seriously, there are people out there that DO NOT want you to send that nasty email to your boss when you are pissed about something. Or drink beyond comprehension at the office Christmas party. Nope, we don't want you to do that. Again, cuz we have. And it kinda sucked (for both physical and political reasons).

Check out this list from Ernie Perich, president and creative director of Perich Advertising + Design in Ann Arbor, MI. It makes those who've been in advertising more than a decade nod slowly and sigh out, "ohhhhh yea, I wish I'd have done that too."

My personal favorites:
4. Travel every chance I got
15. Lose more graciously
21. Confront tough issues way sooner
37. Realize there’s always time to do something about the things I regret not doing

No comments: