Monday, March 23, 2009

In my humble opinion

Are creatives allowed to have humble opinions about their own work? As in, "In my humble opinion, my book is one of the better books you will come across." Really?

That made me chuckle. Isn't that an oxymoron? Saying you're humble when in fact you are being braggatory (I'm making that word up). It's the same lesson I am trying to teach my 7-year-old daughter right now. To celebrate her talents without broadcasting it to the world. Currently, she is THE BEST artist in 1st grade. And, THE fastest runner. And, THE top math student in her whole class. She very well might be. But I'm trying to teach her that being the best and saying you're the best are two totally different things.

Believe in yourself by all means. Have an equal dose of confidence. Those qualities I truly appreciate. I'd also appreciate being the one who actually says "your book is one of the better books I have come across."

No comments: