Wednesday, December 21, 2011

10 Things Creatives should not have on a Resume

1. Listing Word, Excel, Windows, The Internet, Macintosh or Microsoft Office as skills.  Ummm, Duh.

2. Any of the following words: Team Player, Multi-Tasker, Hard Worker, Detail Oriented, World Class, Aforementioned, Right Brain, Whole Brain, Holistic Thinker, Marketing Professional.

3. A QR code.  I am not going to pick up my phone, take a shot, then peruse your portfolio on my phone. Ever.

4. More than 3 fonts. More is not more.

5. A 5-paragraph cover letter. I actually think creatives should skip the cover letter.

6. Links to a Blog or Twitter account that have content a recruiter really shouldn't see. If you are going to give me more content that you author, make sure it enforces the reasons I'd want to hire you.

7. Referencing yourself in the 3rd person. Creepy.

8. A design that makes any part of the resume hard to read.

9. A lack of personality. You must show something that differentiates you from the next person.

10. An Objective section that starts with "To Obtain. . ." I already know you want a job, no need to muddle it up with corporate speak.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cecilia - I love your blog! Could you elaborate on your 2nd point a little bit? Is it simply that those words/phrases are overused, cliche and/or too vague? Thanks! Jeff B.

Unknown said...

Mostly I feel like they are counter to what I want a creative to describe about themselves.

And then on top of that, they are overused and slightly cliche.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cecilia, thanks a lot for your useful tips about resume. My question is that the recruiter likes to get portfolio+resume+cover letter online or he/she wants to get them via mail? Because there are many agencies having the website with hiring page, and the candidate can upload his/her resume, cover letter and portfolio link.
Thanks

-B.Th

Unknown said...

Mostly I prefer getting them online so I can share with my creative directors more easily. It doesn't hurt to get it in the mail, but make sure you also send electronically too.

When an agency website has a hiring page that allows you upload your stuff, make sure the cover letter is short and sweet.

Brynn Cahalan said...

Hi Cecilia! I'm actually in the process of updating my resume and I found these tips especially helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cecilia, I've been your anonymous blog reader for a while, and I find it very useful for students and juniors. I have a question about job application. My question was how long does it take an agency to get back to the candidate for the interview if he/she is selected since the application sent? is four weeks long enough for him/her to wait for that agency?

thank you a lot.
Th.

Unknown said...

If I am understanding correctly, you sent in your application and are waiting to hear if they want to interview you?
4 weeks is pretty long.
I'd first make sure the right person got your application; sometimes when you send it in through HR it doesn't make it to the creative department. Resend directly to the creative manager or creative director. If you still don't hear about an interview, probably means they are passing.