Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Two Seconds

Yep, that's what it takes. Two seconds to open an email account.

I can't think of a technology feat that is easier to do than open your own personal email. Hence, why I am so utterly confused when I get emailed portfolios through another person's account.

Like a creative has his wife/girlfriend/sister email me his portfolio through her email address. Weird. Really weird. I truly have tried to think of reasons why people would do this. Yea, none come up.

The question is, when I reply, should I acknowledge the person whose account it really is? "Hi Darcy, I see this is your email, but someone named John just sent me his portfolio from this email address. Could you let him know to get back to me? Thanks."

Take the two seconds.

4 comments:

Ignatius said...

Sorry if this is irrelevant. I'd like your opinion, Cecilia. I got off an interview with an ECD last Wednesday and he said he'll get back to me in a few days. I sent him a thank-you email later that day. On the following Tuesday night (today), he replied saying, "Nice meeting you too". And I have not heard anything else. Is this a bad sign? Thanks before

-Your fan

Unknown said...

First, I'd feel very optimistic that he replied at all. ECDs have a ton on their plate and replying to candidates tends not to rank highest on their list of daily tasks.

It often takes a lot of red tape and wheels to turn when deciding on a hire, so don't feel like you've been passed up just yet.

GIve it another 3-4 days and follow up. Not in an email though. Call him. If you get his voicemail, express your interest wholeheartedly.

Anonymous said...

It must've been a stressful time between that interview - job / no job moment. In your experience as a recruiter, how long does it usually take from an interview to an offer? I'm looking to graduate soon and gathering info as much as I can.

Unknown said...

I've seen it take months, especially if the agency is part of a conglomerate. This usually means offers have to get approved out of the parent office and takes way longer. Smaller agencies I'm sure react a lot faster.