Saturday, July 5, 2008

2 pages is all it took

By page 2 I wanted to hire this guy. He has absolutely one of the strongest junior design books I have ever seen. This is exactly what I mean when I say that, for me, strong design will always take precedence over mediocre and even good conceptual work.

Unfortunately, he had no desire to come work in California. (Still perplexed by that: surf, perpetual sun. I mean, really, life here does not suck). Anyway, once he shunned me I still tried to help him find a job. Here is a junior who could easily land a job around 60K, no problem. I thought it a sin that he wasn't at a big name agency. He really wanted to land in Chicago. So I emailed our Y&R Chicago ECD his link. I called a local recruiter and passed on his portfolio. I constantly refer to his design work in lectures I give about junior portfolios.

I don't know if he ever got the job he wanted in Chicago, but here's the point: If you show your book to a recruiter and it is not a fit, either for them or you, do know that they may be helping you behind the scenes get the job that will be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For someone in charge of hiring creatives, it pains me to see that you don't know the difference between a designer and an art director.

especially after this gem: "...for me, strong design will always take precedence over mediocre and even good conceptual work."

Wow.

Unknown said...

At the junior level, they can be amazing, one-of-a kind conceptors and that is certainly outstanding. Future Cannes and Clio winners for that matter.

But, if the layout looks like crap they will have a hard(er) time getting a job than someone who can back up their concepting skills with some design sense.

And someday I hope that Y&R Irvine can hire each and every one of them plus have the money to hire the designers I'd need to layout their concepts.