Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Mike Scioscia's Rear View Mirror

One of the really cool things about working at Oakley are Fireside Chats.
An athlete/someone famous/inspiring/passionate comes in to speak to employees.

Last week Mike Scioscia was here. First, that man should be a stand up comedian. We were laughing practically the whole time. Second, as someone who knows absolutely nothing about the man, I left respecting him immensely.

One story he told was worthy of re-telling. Mike talked about the people in his Rear View Mirror.

Now if I didn't have a slight case of Alzheimer's from raising 2 kids, I'd remember the coach he was referring to, buuuuut. . . .that doesn't matter. Mikes' point was that as you look back on your life, reflect into your rear view mirror, there you see the people who helped get you where you are. You'll see the people whose impact on your thoughts, your actions and, ultimately, your career is profound.

Mike was recalling a certain catching coach who he sees in his Rear View Mirror. Mike said he wouldn't have gotten where he was without this man. This coach was like a second father to him, he mentored him in numerous untold ways and taught him so, so very much throughout his career.This coach was standing boldly and profoundly in Mike Scioscia's Rear View Mirror.

My own mirror: perhaps less profound, but mine nonetheless.

In it I see Mr. Christenson, my 6th grade teacher who gave me an early appreciation of the arts. Pete & Sonja Tripodi, my first bosses in the real world who taught me everything my young brain could absorb. My Dad, who in his own quiet presence, taught me and my sisters we could pretty much accomplish anything in this world. My list goes on.

Think about your Rear View Mirror. Who do you see?

It goes without saying that we get where we are with the help of others. Remember those who've taught you a thing or two. Who've guided you subtlely or overtly. And, as Mike Scioscia did, appreciate that you got where you are because of them.

1 comment:

Pancho Dondo said...

Hello, Cecilia.

You don't know me.

I am an Argentinian journalist specialized in Advertising since almost 20 years ago.

I spent most of my career interviewing creative professionals and covering creative festivals like Cannes, London, One Show, Clio and others (various Latin ones).

After several years teaching in different advertising schools here in Buenos Aires, I discovered that there was something advertising students needed to be better prepared to begin their ad careers. Therefore, last September 5th, I launched PRIMER BRIEF (FIRST BRIEF), which until now is only an online portal, written in Spanish: www.primerbrief.com.

It's slogan is, in English, something like THE MEETING POINT BETWEEN CURRENT STUDENTS AND TOMORROW'S ADVERTISING.

Having said all this, let me ask you the question that made me leave this comment: Is there any problem if, once a while, I translate one of your posts into Spanish, publish it as an column in my PB and sign it with your name and picture, and obviously link it to your blog?

I'm so sorry PB is only published in Spanish. Maybe in the future, if things evolve as I dream, we can launch our daily English version as well!

Thank you very much in advance, Cecilia, congratulations for your blog and hugs from Sout America.

PANCHO DONDO
panchodondo@primerbrief.com