Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Job or no Job

This is one of the weirdest things I have heard about recruiting, yet I have now heard it 3 or 4 times.

People have been asking me if having a job is a bad thing when it comes to being recruited. I'm not sure if they are being told that or they are assuming that, but it's just plain weird.

Of course I want you to have a job. That means you are good and someone else thought you were good, hence they hired you. I can't imagine why having a job would be hindrance.

On top of that, I don't mind if you don't have a job. This is advertising. Half the advertising population is out of a job. If I ruled people out for being out of work, I'd be ruling out a huge chunk of very talented folks.

Neither of these factors deter me from considering a person for full time. Now, that's not to say it isn't easier to hire someone who is currently unemployed. When a candidate doesn't have a job, I don't have to wait 2 weeks (sometimes longer) while they give notice. But for a full time hire, come on, I'd wait a month or more for a really great person. I'd like to think other agencies do the same.

Freelance is a whole 'nother ballgame. I want you unemployed and I want you available on exactly the day I need you for exactly how long I need you. Ha. A girl can wish right?

In an absolute perfect world, I'd want to first freelance any candidate we were considering. We feel you out, you feel us out and we take the time to see if the relationship will pan out.

But absolute perfect world doesn't come around too often. We interview, we ask questions, we call references, we check our gut, we trust the portfolio, then we take a huge leap of faith and extend an offer. That's kinda just how it is.

Whether you are currently employed or not is not a big deal. It makes me happy when I know another great agency has found you before me. It makes me even happier to hire you away.

No comments: